The History of Courtenay Baptist Church

 The seed thought for a Baptist work to begin in the Comox Valley was found in two ladies by the names of Mrs. Leah Evans and Mrs. Mary Morson in 1953.

In the February of 1953, visitors from out of town came to our valley to survey the possibilities of starting a Baptist Mission here. The three men saw that their was an interest in starting a Baptist church and immediately Mary Morson and Leah Evans saw the good hand of God at work; Their prayers were being answered. Soon, there were others interested in this new mission.

Mr. Norman Scott was asked to come to the Comox Valley to Pastor the Baptist Mission.  At times, Pastor Scott preached to just three ladies, but always believed that the Lord would increase the numbers and he worked to that end.  It wasn’t long before others were interested in the new Baptist Mission.

Then on November 16, 1953, the new Baptist Mission held its first organized meeting as a church. It was to be known as the Courtenay Regular Baptist Church. They had a total of eight charter members

Meetings were held in various halls until the erection of the first real church building in May 1958 on the corner of Piercy Avenue and Cumberland Road. In 1972, and several pastors later,  a new building (our present location) was erected on Lake Trail Road.

Over the years, and a few building expansions later, the Lord has certainly answered the prayers of those two faithful women.  The vision for Courtenay Baptist Church remains the same: that the people of the Comox Valley would grow in their love for God, for each other and for the people in this community.


To accommodate the needs of our growing attendance,  we began a building project to renovate the front entrance of the church, adding an elevator, and build an addition to the sanctuary. This expansion was completed after two years and was fully opened for use in June of 2016.